- Trip need: Recognize the need to address future uncertainties, threats, big opportunities, and aspirations for the next 3 to 5 years
- Thoughtfully plan the trip: critical to success is putting Strategic Thinking ahead of Strategic Planning
- Consider alternative routes: Develop multiple scenarios for future direction
- Decide who to include: Be inclusive of board and senior staff
- Enjoy the ride: Externally assisted research and a facilitated process can improve the trip – Strategic4sight can help!
- Measure and monitor progress: Develop measurable, balanced scorecard goals and objectives. Create and regularly review the dashboard
- Communicate your trip: Share your new strategic plan with staff, donors, volunteers and other stakeholders
- Take the trip! Implementation is critical to achieve goals and impact, starting with your 1st year business plan
An effective complement to a Strategic Plan and 1st year Business Plan is a strategic Marketing Plan to be successful in fundraising, volunteer recruitment, client outreach, new service development and achieve other business plan objectives.